Wednesday, August 10, 2022

It's Time to Put Off Decisions




 Just for starters, I love my gastro-enterologist.  He responds to my questions with phone calls, and then explains them in easy to understand terms.  But before he calls me, he reviews my case and what's been going on with the other doctors.  So for all my zebra friends, I wish you all to have such a doctor.  

So here's what's up:  it's not feasible right now to have a TIPS procedure,  I am borderline enough to qualify for the procedure, but medications and paracentesis will control the situation with my ascites for now.  When it gets to the point where I need paracentesis at least once a week, then TIPS will make more sense.  How do I feel about this? I am content to wait because I want what's best.  

In other news, the Carcinoid Cancer Foundation's newsletter announced that the monthly injections I get will soon be available in tablet form that I will be able to take daily.  The drug, an octreotide (generic name), Mycappsa has been granted orphan status by the Food and Drug Administration, which will make it available more quickly.  It was developed in Ireland (Go, Ireland!) and is finding its way to the US.  What this means for me personally is that I will be able to give up the 19-gauge needles in my backside every month (an insulin needle is 31-29 gauge--the smaller the number, the bigger the needle). 

It seems that life is three steps forward and two steps back, but that's true for nearly everyone I know.  I am content with that.  

5 comments:

  1. Praying as you find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you and lifting you in prayer. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those doctors who are truly engaged in your situation. Glad they are finding a way to make it more user friendly. Still praying for you every day and thanking God got his answers.Vicki. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Love those more user friendly solutions!Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  5. So thankful you have a doctor you trust and respect, and that listens to you, and looks at your history!! You are in my prayers! Love you, Cousin! Marcia

    ReplyDelete

A Serious Comedy of Errors

  So, a couple of weeks ago, we heard that Kevin's brother fell and broke his hip.  Tuesday, this past week Kevin fell and ruptured his ...