Sunday, July 31, 2022

Relying on Wisdom


In April and May, I had tests done to see if the ascites were perhaps caused by portal vein hypertension.  I had an appointment scheduled for late June to get the results of the tests and to see what could be done next.  The portal vein hypertension readings would either put me in line for a TIPS procedure or relegate me to continued paracentesis.  Before I could go in for the appointment in June, I got a call saying that the doctors had no answers yet, could I come in July 28th.  So, two months after my last test, I finally get some information, not necessarily the answers, but more to go on.  

Dr. V. explained that there were several factors to consider before deciding to go in for a TIPS or not.  

  • MELD score--mine is 15, which is below the cut off of 18.  The MELD score stands for Model for End-stage Liver Disease.  This is also the score that puts a person in line for a liver transplant or not
  • Portal Vein Hypertension--yes, I am on the borderline, but enough over to consider that it is a factor in my ascites.  
  • Varices in my stomach--varices are also called varicose veins.  The TIPS could alleviate the pressure on the varices and allow them to go back to normal.   
  • My interesting architecture.  We are all fearfully and wonderfully made, with intricate parts fitting together in unfathomable ways.  I am just have a more interesting and challenging architecture for how I was put together.  I'm nothing if not complicated. 
While I was waiting for these results, I did not just sit and twiddle my thumbs.  No. no, no, . . . Kevin and I went to Eugene, Oregon, to see the World Track and Field Championships with our daughter and her boyfriend.  My immune system is fragile enough that I didn't want to be in such a crowd, so I stayed at our Airbnb and did the cooking while the rest were enjoying the competitions.  They got to see world class athletes doing what they do best, and then Kevin and I got to see some friends we hadn't seen for a while and catch up on their lives. That filled most of a week's time for us.  


So here is where I am now.  I need wisdom to determine the right choice on the TIPS option, and this is where my faith needs to stand strong.  TIPS will require a one-night hospital stay. I have sought advice from my oncologist, and I need to ask a couple of questions from my gastroenterologist before making a final decision, but I need to make the right decision.  So that's where things stand today.  I need wisdom.  


 

1 comment:

A Serious Comedy of Errors

  So, a couple of weeks ago, we heard that Kevin's brother fell and broke his hip.  Tuesday, this past week Kevin fell and ruptured his ...