Monday, June 13, 2022

Tales from the Doctor's Office



In 2008, I had my gall bladder taken out because of infection.  It happened shortly before our thirtieth anniversary, and dog-gone-it, I had plans, and, more importantly, I had reservations--non-refundable reservations.  So Kevin called to see if my medical emergency could be reason enough for a refund.  It did and all we needed was a note from the doctor.  When I went back for my surgical follow up, Kevin asked the doctor to write a note for us to get the refund on the reservations. When we told the doctor what we needed, he suggested I stay home and he go on the trip. 😄

A few years later, I am meeting with the surgeon who is going to remove my volleyball-sized tumor, he comes into the exam room and says, "I need to see this Herkimer!"  

A year or so later, I am meeting with my first interventional radiologist and I mention that our open-season for insurance is coming up and I wanted to be sure I am going to be covered.  I told the doctor that the designation "open-season" meant that I could put on my blaze orange vest and go after the insurance companies for some of the rigmaroles I've had to go through to get them to cover things they were obligated to cover.  He wanted to join me.  

Later on, I am being mapped for my  Y-90 treatment and one of the interventional radiologists' fellows told me that I have "interesting architecture," meaning that the blood vessel structure was not exactly normal.  But then what about me or my life is normal?

My most recent hilarity came about because of interchangeable doctors. I am seeing another interventional radiologist.  I am informed that I will be seeing Dr. R. on this first appointment.  The day before the  appointment, the scheduler calls and tells me that I will be seeing Dr. V. instead.  Okay, that's all right.  I get to the appointment, and I go to the receptionist to check in and say, "I have an appointment with Dr. V."  The receptionist says, "Actually, you'll be seeing Dr. S."  It just reminded me of the Tupperware™ toys my children had with interchangeable parts.😁  


This last one didn't happen to me, but it still gives me a giggle.  My mama had written me a letter telling me about a doctor's appointment her friend had been to.  While he was waiting for his turn, there was a mother with a young boy in the waiting room and the boy was just all over the place, being a little boy.  The mother finally got tired of his shenanigans and picked him up and sat him down in a chair rather forcefully. The little boy looked at his mother and said, "Now, you've gone and done it!  You've busted both my balls!"  The whole waiting room gasped as the boy leaned forward in his chair and pulled one very flat ping pong ball out of each of his back pockets. 😂 Another elderly gent got up and gave the boy a dollar bill, saying, "Son, you've made my day!"
 


3 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud! Do when is your book coming out? I know it will PE a best seller! PW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't thought about a book, but maybe . . .

      Delete

A Serious Comedy of Errors

  So, a couple of weeks ago, we heard that Kevin's brother fell and broke his hip.  Tuesday, this past week Kevin fell and ruptured his ...